It’s our annual VHS Diwali recipe time. Let’s be honest, none of our recipes have been as big of a hit as our chocolate orange KitKat barfi from 2020, but this year we’ve decided to make our own chocolate bar. You’ll notice some similarities to the chocolate orange KitKat Barfi, but this time we are appealing to our vegan, gluten-free & nut allergy friends. It’s a simple recipe that is nostalgic to our childhood, you can make it with kids and easily gift but also won’t cost you the earth to make!
What you need:
Rice Krispies - 150g
Vegetarian/vegan marshmallows, we used Dandies - 400g
Coco Vita Coconut Oil - 85g + 10g for chocolate
Chai masala - 2.5 tsp
Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
Dark Chocolate - 375g
White Chocolate - 100g
- To a large pan on low heat add 85g of coconut oil
- Once melted add 400g of vegan marshmallows
- Keep moving the marshmallows around with a wooden spoon until melted. On a low heat, this will take 15 mins or so, be patient! It's an arm workout.
- Once melted, add your chai masala and vanilla extract and mix well
- Go ahead and add your Rice Krispies and mix again
- Transfer this to a coconut-oiled tray and press down accordingly so the top is flat. As the marshmallow cools it will be harder to work with so be quick!
- Allow this to set in the fridge for 15-20 mins. Once cooled, go ahead and cut these into bite-sized pieces. Use a sharp large knife to avoid the pieces having jagged edges.
- Once the marshmallows are done in the fridge, add your dark chocolate to a bowl with 10g of coconut oil and microwave in short bursts of 30 seconds until well melted
- Let the chocolate cool down for 5 minutes, and then go ahead and dip the marshmallow pieces into the dark chocolate and transfer over to an oiled plate. Shake off as much chocolate as you can - you can use a fork or toothpicks to do this.
- Melt your white chocolate in short bursts in the microwave once pieces have been coated, and with a spoon drizzle over the chocolate over the pieces ahead of transferring to the fridge. Note - you can leave out the white chocolate to keep these vegan.